What is anal lube?
Anal lube is a type of intimate lubricant that is more moisturising compared to regular lube. Its role is to enhance slickness in the anal area and prepare the anus for penetrative sex (anal sex). Using lubricant for anal sex is important because the anus doesn’t lubricate naturally.
Some couples prefer lubricating the anus with saliva or alternative products, such as body oil, baby oil, body lotion, or Vaseline. However, you should avoid using any of the above for sex.
For instance, saliva use as a lubricant for anal sex is a risk factor – the practice may play an important role in the transmission of gonorrhoea and genital herpes. In addition to the increased risk of transmitting (or catching) an infection, saliva doesn’t have a slippery consistency and evaporates quickly. It could take an impressive amount of spit to lubricate the anus sufficiently for pleasurable anal sex.
Vaseline is a moisturising product developed to soften dry skin. It is often used to keep the lips moist and healthy during winter or to soften the skin on your elbows. Containing petroleum jelly and a mixture of mineral oils and waxes, Vaseline is intended for external use only. In other words, it should not come in contact with your mucous membranes that line various cavities, including the anal, oral, and vaginal lining. Not only does Vaseline damage latex and polyisoprene condoms, but it can also increase the risk of bacterial and yeast infections. Most body lotions and creams also contain petroleum jelly.
Oils, such as massage or baby oils, can also break down latex and polyisoprene condoms. If they contain petroleum jelly, they can increase the risk of infections. Furthermore, all oil products can stain fabrics and surfaces, and are hard to clean.
Considering that anal lube is affordable and safe to use for all kinds of sex, the best thing to do is to find the product you like best and keep it at hand for fun and safe anal play.
How is anal lube different from other types of lube?
Most anal lubricants are formulated in the same way as standard lube and can be used for all types of sex. The main difference is the consistency – anal lube is thicker and longer lasting than standard water-based lubricant. Apart from this difference, some brands also add extracts that relax the anal muscles and ease up penetration, such as caffeine or aloe vera extract.
Do I have to use lube for anal sex?
According to specialists, it is crucial to use a lot of anal lubricant for any form of penetrative anal sex (with a penis or sex toy). Otherwise, the delicate rectal tissue is at risk of damage due to friction.
Without proper lubrication, anal sex can lead to painful tears or even damage to the anal sphincter, leading to faecal incontinence. If you don’t want to risk pooping everywhere, investing in a quality anal lube and using it liberally each time you have anal sex is essential.
Types of anal lube
There are three main types of anal lube:
- Water-based anal lube: The so-called “all-purpose” member of the lube family, water-based lube is good for all sexual situations (despite the anal in the name). This formula is preferred by most couples because it doesn’t feel sticky on the skin – a feeling associated with discomfort – it doesn’t stain fabrics, and is very easy to clean. The main downside of water-based lube is that it dries out quite fast, so you’ll have to keep reapplying it throughout the session. You won’t be able to use this type of lube in water either, because it would wash right off. On the bright side, water-based lubes are safe to use with all condoms, dental dams, and sex toys.
- Silicone-based anal lube: Silkier and more gliding than water-based lube, silicone lubes can make anal sex safer and more enjoyable. Some silicone lubes can stain fabrics, but most products on today’s market are not sticky and don’t stain. The main advantage of this type of lube is its thicker consistency that lasts longer. Usually, just a few drops of lube applied before penetration are enough to last until you finish. You can also use this type of lube to have sex in water, because silicone is not water soluble. Most silicone lubes are safe to use with condoms – some may only be compatible with condoms made of a specific material, such as natural rubber latex or polyisoprene, so check before buying. Another downside of this lube is that it damages silicone sex toys.
- Hybrid anal lube: A hybrid between water-based and silicone-based lube, this type of lubricant brings the best of both worlds. The product is not as sticky as silicone lube and is easier to wash off. Still, you can use it in the water, and the product will last longer than water-based lube. Due to the silicone component, however, you should still avoid using it with silicone sex toys.
What brands make anal lube?
With numerous couples enjoying anal sex, the market offers a bountiful range of choices when it comes to anal lube. That said, keep in mind that most silicone and hybrid lubricants are a safe choice for anal sex even if you don’t find the word “anal” on their label.
Water-based anal lube
- Lubido Aloe Infused Water Based Anal Ease Lubricant: One of the most popular water-based lubricants for anal sex, Lubido lube contains extracts of aloe vera and caffeine. The lube has a soothing effect on the skin, helping relax the muscles and facilitating anal penetration. The water-based formula has a thick consistency but is very easy to clean. This product has a smooth texture and doesn’t feel sticky. It is also anti-bacterial and compatible with all condoms and sex toys. Lubido anal lube is vegan-friendly and comes in 250ml dispenser bottles and travel-friendly, 30ml bottles you can keep in your handbag.
- Loving Joy Anal Lubricant: A hypoallergenic product suitable for people with sensitive skin, the Loving Joy anal lube is another excellent water-based product. Like Lubido, Loving Joy lube is vegan-friendly. Its thick consistency allows you to enjoy anal sex without having to reapply it too often. The lube is compatible to use with all kinds of condoms, dental dams, and sex toys.
- Boys Own Clear Lube: Manufactured by LTC Healthcare, the same company that makes EXS lubes and condoms, Boys Own lube is another water-based lube designed specifically for anal sex. The product addresses gay couples, but it can really be used by all couples anyone who enjoys anal sex as well as women struggling with vaginal dryness. One of the things that make this lube different is the carrageenan extract, a natural additive effective against HPV. Considering that HPV is the most widespread sexually transmitted infection – about 80% of the sexually active people are infected at some point in their life – this lube is an excellent choice for those who want to have unprotected anal sex. The formula also contains aloe vera extract and is very delicate on the skin. Perfect for everyone, this lube doesn’t contain harsh chemicals or fragrances and is vegan friendly. If you don’t fancy the clear version, Boys Own Silk Lube is the same but white coloured.
Hybrid anal lube
- Lubido Moisturising Water Based Hybrid Lubricant: Longer lasting than water-based lube and perfect for all kinds of sex, this water-based hybrid lube adds moisture exactly where it’s needed. Ideal for people with sensitive skin, it has a gentle formula and it doesn’t contain parabens or other harsh chemicals. The product is easy to clean and it doesn’t stain fabrics, but you can use it under the shower. Like Lubido Anal Ease lube, this hybrid lubricant come in a 250ml nightstand dispenser bottle and a convenient, travel-friendly variant.
- Pasante Silky TLC Lube: Pasante doesn’t make a lube specific for anal sex, but its Silky TLC lube is perfect for the purpose. Like all hybrid lubes, it has silicone in its composition and is not suitable to use with silicone sex toys. That said, you can use it with all types of condoms. Similar to the Boys Own Silk Lube, Pasante Silky TLC has a matte white colour. Its gentle formula feels soft and silky on the skin – this lube contains no fragrances or pesky chemicals. It is a tad harder to wash off, but it doesn’t feel greasy and doesn’t stain fabrics.
- Loving Joy Silky Hybrid Lubricant: Designed for people with sensitive skin, this hybrid lube lasts longer than the water-based anal lube from the brand. It’s also white instead of clear, but apart from the silicone blended in its formula, it is similar to the Loving Joy Anal Lubricant. This lube is perfect for anal sex or you could use it to combat the symptoms of vaginal dryness.
Silicone-based anal lube
- Durex Perfect Glide: Thicker and longer-lasting water-based lubes have slowly replaced the silicone formulas in the past decade, but Durex knows that nothing can beat a silicone lube when you’re looking for the perfect glide. Lasting longer than any water-based or hybrid lube, the Perfect Glide is a silicone-based lube perfect for anal sex. Despite its composition, it feels lightweight on the skin and it isn’t sticky. Sure, it doesn’t wash off as easily as water-based lube and it may stain fabrics, but it brings plenty of moisture for incredibly satisfying anal sex. Like most intimate lubes from Durex, the product is also suitable to use for vaginal and oral sex. Don’t use it with a silicone sex toy, though, because it isn’t compatible. That said, you can use Durex Perfect Glide with all condoms and dental dams.
Can I use Vaseline or body lotion for anal sex?
Vaseline and body lotion could substitute personal lube, technically. However, it isn’t recommended to use these products for penetrative sex. Skincare products like Vaseline, body lotions, body creams, and even massage oils often contain petroleum jelly and glycerine. Petroleum jelly is a harsh chemical that can damage the structure of latex and polyisoprene condoms. The substance may also irritate the skin in your delicate areas. Glycerine, on the other hand, is a sugar that could cause a number of infections – especially yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis if it ends up inside the vagina.
For these reasons, you should only use personal lubricant for anal sex. Anal lube is your best choice, since these products add more moisture than standard lubes. However, you can use any type of intimate lube as long as you apply it liberally.
Is anal lube safe to use with condoms?
Yes. All anal lubes available to buy here at Condoms.uk are safe to use with condoms and oral dams. However, you should not use a silicone-based or hybrid lube with a silicone sex toy.
Where can I buy anal lube?
You can buy anal lube right here at Condoms.uk. Not only do we stock a wide range of personal lubricants suitable for the purpose, but all orders are delivered in discreet packaging to protect your privacy. We also offer free delivery on all orders of £25 or more and only sell genuine products that are tested for safety and sourced directly from brands. So, what are you waiting for? Browse our range of lubricants right now to find the best anal lube for you.