What is water based lube?
Water based lube is a type of personal lubricant suitable to use for all kinds of sexual activities. This is the most versatile lube you can find – it is compatible with all types of condoms and sex toys, including silicone sex toys and accessories.
Most water based lubes have a gentle formula safe to use by people with sensitive skin. It goes without saying that all types of water based lube deemed as safe for sex are made with food-grade ingredients and are safe to ingest in small quantities. In other words, you can use this type of lube for oral sex, too.
Why should I use lube?
Personal lubricant has been around for ages. Yet, a surprising number of people choose to ignore it. Common substitutes include saliva, Vaseline, body creams or lotions, and an array of oils – ranging from body or massage oils downright to cooking oil. Whilst all these substances can increase slickness and glide, they aren’t suitable to use for sex.
Saliva is majorly made up of water and dries out very fast once it’s out of your mouth. This body fluid adds moisture, but you’ll have to keep spitting and reapplying it on your privates from start to finish. Unless you’re into that kind of kinky stuff, the action could come off as gross. Not only is saliva a poor lubricant, but it also carries a lot of bacteria that doesn’t normally reside in your private area. Its alkaline pH can also alter the delicate balance of the vaginal pH, leading to yeast or bacterial infections. Last but not least, you can transmit sexually transmitted infections through saliva. The most common is the human papillomavirus (HPV), but you can also transmit syphilis, gonorrhoea, herpes, and even HIV.
Vaseline, body creams, and body lotions are all designed to moisturise the skin, but they are all designed for external use only. In other words, neither of those options should get into a vagina, mouth, or anus. Although all these products are safe to ingest in small quantities, you should routinely use them for sex. All these products also contain petroleum jelly, a substance that increases the risk of infections and that can cause irritation when applied to the sensitive skin on your private areas. Petroleum jelly also reacts with natural rubber latex and polyisoprene condoms, altering their structure and increasing the risk of condom breakage. Thus, if you’re looking for a lube to use with condoms, you should steer clear of those products.
Oils of any type can alter the structure of natural and synthetic latex condoms in the same way petroleum jelly does. They also increase the risk of yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis.
For these reasons, you should only use personal lube for sex. Water based lube isn’t the only option – hybrid and silicone lubes may be better if you want a product that lasts longer or that you can use underwater. That said, water based lube is more suitable for people with sensitive skin and doesn’t react with silicone accessories.
What types of water based lube can I choose from?
There are several types of water based lube on the market. Let’s have a look at their purposes:
- Standard water based lube: The simplest type of water based lubricant, this personal lube is odourless and tasteless. You can find it in clear and white colours. The clear one looks like water, but it has a thicker consistency and it doesn’t dry up as fast as water. The white lube has the same properties as the clear one, but appeals to those who want to see how much product they’ve applied. Plain water based lube is suitable to use for all kinds of sex, but most couples use it for vaginal sex.
- Flavoured water based lube: This type of lubricant has a clear or white colour, but it has a specific smell and taste. You can choose from many types of flavoured lube, options including strawberry, cherry, chocolate, peach, mint, and even unusual flavours like bubblegum and bacon. Flavoured lube is majorly used for oral sex. Some people use it instead of foods, such as chocolate sauce or whipped cream. Others use it to cover the smell and taste of latex when engaging in protected oral sex. Most flavoured lube on the market is also suitable to use for vaginal and anal sex.
- Aloe vera lube: If you have sensitive skin, aloe vera lube could be a better choice than the plain variety. This type of lubricant is tasteless and colourless, but it could have a mild, fresh scent given by the aloe vera extract. Besides adding moisture, this lube also protects your skin and prevents irritation.
- Anal lube: Water based anal lube has gained lots of fans since it was first launched. This lube has a thicker formula compared to the plain water based lube and lasts longer. Some anal lubes also contain natural extracts that ease the muscles and facilitate penetration. Like all water based lubes, anal lubes don’t stain fabrics and are very easy to clean.
- 2-in-1 lube: A special category is the 2-in-1 massage gel and lube available from some brands. These lubes are not flavoured, but they are scented. The fragrance is usually floral or herbal, although there are exceptions. You can use these personal lubricants to give your partner a full body massage and to lubricate the private areas before intercourse. Some massage lubes are compatible with all types of condoms and sex toys, whilst others are only compatible with latex and polyisoprene condoms. Thus, you should always check the label before buying.
Is water based lube suitable for people with sensitive skin?
Yes, water based lube is generally suitable for people with sensitive skin. However, there are exceptions and you should read the label before buying. Here are a few ingredients you should avoid:
- Antibacterial ingredients: Some personal lubricants – especially anal lubes – contain antibacterial agents that could irritate sensitive skin.
- Fragrances: Most water based lubes don’t contain any fragrance, but fragrances may be added to 2-in-1 massage gels or flavoured lubes.
- Parabens: Parabens are preservatives that increase a product’s shelf life, but they can irritate the skin.
- Spermicides: Some personal lubes contain spermicides to minimise the risk of accidental pregnancy. However, studies showed that proper condom usage doesn’t require the use of additional spermicides – substances that irritate the skin even if you’re not sensitive. For this reason, all water based lubes you can buy here at Condoms.uk don’t contain spermicides.
- Glycerine: Often added to lube to retain moisture, glycerine is a by-product of sugar and can serve as food for bacteria and yeasts. Avoid using lube containing glycerine for vaginal or anal sex.
- Propylene glycol: Like parabens, propylene glycol is a preservative that also serves as a humectant (it helps retain moisture). However, propylene glycol also happens to cause vaginal irritation if you’re sensitive to it.
Are water based lube and vaginal moisturiser the same?
No. Although they are both water based and even though vaginal moisturiser can be used as a lubricant during sex, vaginal moisturisers are specifically designed to provide relief and comfort to women experiencing vaginal dryness. Vaginal dryness occurs when the tissues of the vagina aren’t well lubricated. The condition is more common in older women, but it can happen at any age. It is particularly common in younger women on hormonal contraception or women suffering from hormonal imbalances.
Women with vaginal dryness can experience pain and discomfort during sexual intercourse, because of the lack of natural lubrication. They may also observe light bleeding after intercourse, and generally feel under the weather down there.
Vaginal moisturisers are designed to provide relief in all circumstances, not only during sex. The product can be applied at any time throughout the day or during sexual intercourse, instead of a personal lubricant.
What is the best water based lube?
Choosing the best water based lube starts with evaluating your needs. What do you need lube for? Vaginal sex, oral sex, or anal sex? Do you have sensitive skin or allergies? Is scent important when choosing a lubricant?
If you have normal skin and want an all-purpose lube, Durex Feel could be the best water based lube for you. This lubricant is clear, odourless, and tasteless, and is compatible with all condoms, sex toys, and accessories.
SKYN Aqua Feel is an excellent alternative to Durex, if you want a lube specifically designed to use with polyisoprene condoms. It goes without saying that you can use this lube with all other condom types and with all sex toys.
Durex Naturals Intimate Gel and Mates Aqua Aloe are two excellent choices for people with sensitive skin. These lubes are formulated with natural ingredients and are gentler on the skin compared to plain water based lube.
EXS, Pasante, and Durex also make flavoured lubes. All these products are a perfect choice for more pleasurable oral sex. They can cover the smell and taste of latex, but are also suitable to use on their own. All flavoured lubes you can buy here at Condoms.uk are safe to use for vaginal and anal sex, too.
Pasante Mint is a flavoured lube you can also use for enhanced sensations. Its cooling effect enhance vaginal stimulation and can help men delay ejaculation. At the same time, it can ease penetration during anal sex. Durex Tingling lube has a similar effect, but this lube isn’t flavoured or scented.
Lubido Aloe Infused Water Based Anal Ease and Loving Joy Anal Lube are the best water based lubes for anal sex. Boys Own lube – available in clear and silky white versions – is another excellent choice for pleasurable anal sex.
Last but not least, Durex Play Sensual and Durex Play Stimulating are the best water based lubes for sensual massages and lubrication. These versatile products can help you fulfil all fantasies, from creating a sensual massage parlour in your bedroom to enveloping your senses into delightful scents whilst also adding plenty of moisture exactly where needed.
The only disadvantage of these lubes is that they are not available with all types of condoms – read the label to check compatibility if the condoms you use are not made of natural rubber latex or polyisoprene.
Where to buy water based lube?
You can buy water based lube right here at Condoms.uk. Buying from us comes with lots of advantages, such as:
- Wide range of products: At Condoms.uk, we stock a wide range of water based lubes from trusted brands. Options include lubes from Durex, Pasante, EXS, and SKYN, to name just a few. Browse our range to find the best water based lube for you.
- Free, discreet delivery: We offer free standard delivery on all orders of £25 or more and free next-day delivery on all orders of £50 or more. Regardless of the order value, all orders are shipped in generic, discreet packaging to protect your privacy.
- More than lubes: At Condoms.uk, we strive to help you find everything you need for stellar sex. In addition to lubricants, you can also pick from a variety of natural rubber latex or latex-free condoms, as well as sex toys and accessories. Browse our range right now to find the best water based lube, condoms, and accessories to use in the bedroom.