What are SKYN condoms and who makes them?
SKYN are non-latex condoms designed for people with latex allergies and those who don't want to use latex condoms for one reason or another.
The brand name creates some confusion, with some people believing they are made from lamb's skin. However, SKYN condoms are made from a proprietary synthetic material that is softer and more natural-feeling than latex.
This type of polyisoprene delivers the same strength as latex despite being noticeably thinner, allowing the condoms to deliver skin-on-skin sensations – hence, the brand name.
SKYN products are manufactured by the same company that produces Mates condoms, one of the largest multinational companies in the sexual healthcare industry. If you're looking for peace of mind when buying condoms, then SKYN have got you covered.
What is SKYNFEEL and how is it different from latex?
SKYNFEEL is a proprietary type of polyisoprene, the material SKYN condoms are made from. This synthetic material is noticeably softer than latex and it has been proven to enhance sensations whilst remaining safe during sex. Latex, on the other hand, is a natural material made from rubber. Latex is widely popular thanks to its elasticity and resistance, but it can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to latex.
Some people also dislike the odour of latex, whereas the SKYNFEEL material is completely odourless and tasteless.
How do I choose the right SKYN condom?
SKYN condoms come in a variety of styles and sizes designed to suit all men and situations. Here are a few things to consider when choosing a SKYN condom.
Type of condom
SKYN condoms can be roughly divided into six main categories. The first step to fulfilling sex is picking the right one.
- SKYN Natural Feel Original: The new generation condom designed for people allergic to latex, these condoms are odourless, tasteless, and have a smooth, silky texture. These condoms have a regular size with nominal width of 53mm and reservoir tip. They are lightly lubricated with a silicone-based product and don’t contain spermicide. SKYN Natural Feel Original have a comfortable, straight fit.
- SKYN Elite Ultra-Thin: Similar to Natural Feel Original in size and features, SKYN Elite Ultra-Thin condoms are 20% thinner than the Original and offer even more natural sensations. These condoms have the same straight fit and are lightly lubricated.
- SKYN Extra Lube: With a size, shape, and texture similar to the Original, SKYN Extra Lube condoms are ideal for combating the symptoms of vaginal dryness or make anal sex safer and more enjoyable without the use of extra lube. These condoms contain around 40% more lubricant compared to the other SKYN condom types.
- SKYN Intense Feel: SKYN’s variant of textured condoms, the Intense Feel condoms feature raised dots on their surface, offering up more intense sensations. The dots are strategically placed to hit the most sensitive areas to enhance stimulation and maximise pleasure.
- SKYN Large: The same as the original but larger, these condoms have a nominal width of 56mm. They are ideal for men who need a larger size condom or who need a larger condom to use with a vibrating G-spot ring.
- SKYN Cocktail Club: SKYN’s selection of flavoured condoms are designed to take sex to a whole new level. Unlike traditional flavoured condoms inspired by chocolate or fruit, these condoms have been inspired by the world’s most famous cocktails. Options include Piña Colada, Cherry Sunrise and Passion Daiquiri, all flavoured with food-grade ingredients. These condoms have the same size as the Original and are perfect for stellar oral sex.
Whilst many people are concerned with the condom's length when buying a condom, the truth is that width is the most important thing to check. This is because most condoms have sufficient length to fit most penis sizes, but a condom that is too snug or too large will reduce the intensity of the sensations you feel, it will fit uncomfortably, and might even slide off or break during intercourse.
Unlike other manufacturers, SKYN doesn't offer a variety of condom sizes. You can choose from the regular size with a nominal width of 53mm or a larger size with nominal width of 56mm. Despite the seeming lack of choices, 53mm condoms usually fit most users.
Are SKYN condoms safe for anal sex?
Yes. Despite being thinner than natural latex condoms, SKYN condoms are elastic and resistant, being a perfect choice for all types of sex. To increase pleasure and safety, it is however recommended for you to use lubricant in abundance to relax the rectal muscles and facilitate penetration.
SKYN condoms are compatible with all SKYN lubricants as well as most water and silicone-based lubricants from other brands.
If you decide to use a lubricant from another brand, always check on the lube's bottle to ascertain if the product is safe to use with non-latex condoms. Most lubes designed for non-latex condoms are safe to use with polyisoprene materials and will not damage your sheath.
Do SKYN condoms contain spermicide?
No. SKYN condoms are lubricated with a silicone-based lubricant that doesn't contain spermicide. The choice of a non-spermicidal lubricant was the result of studies that demonstrate that most spermicides can cause allergic reactions and increase sexual health risks.
Indeed, spermicides were demonstrated to increase the risk of urinary tract infections and vaginal irritation in women. Spermicides also increase the risk of contracting sexually transmitted infections, including chlamydia, gonorrhoea, and HIV.
Furthermore, the World Health Organisation has stated that there is no evidence that condom lubricated with spermicide products are more effective in preventing pregnancy than condoms lubricated with non-spermicidal products.
That said, you can use SKYN condoms with a spermicidal lubricant if you wish. Before applying additional lubricant, read the product’s label and make sure it is deemed safe to use with polyisoprene condoms.
Are SKYN condoms vegan-friendly?
Yes. Like all Mates condoms, SKYN condoms contain no animal-derived ingredients and are not tested on animals. SKYN products are vegan certified by the Vegan Society and suitable for people with allergy to latex, casein, or gluten. They are also an excellent choice for users with a vegan lifestyle.
How should I store SKYN condoms?
SKYN condoms may not be made from latex, but high temperatures and sunlight can still damage them. You should always store SKYN condoms in their original package in a cool, dry place – the temperature shouldn’t exceed 30 degrees Celsius.
You can keep SKYN condoms in your wallet temporarily, but it is not recommended for you to keep them in a wallet or your pocket for more than a few hours.
Before using a condom that you have stored for a while, check the expiration date on the packet. Dispose of any expired condoms and never use a condom you have kept in a wallet or pocket for days or weeks, even if it has not expired. Heat causes condoms to perish and break down quickly, making them unsafe and more likely to burst or fail.
Can SKYN condoms break?
Although SKYN condoms are made from a highly elastic and resistant material, they may break if handled or stored improperly.
Always store your SKYN condoms as explained above. To avoid damaging the condom when using it, always tear the wrapper foil from a corner, using your hands. Don’t tear the wrapper with your teeth and avoid using scissors or other sharp objects.
Long and sharp nails as well as rings and other pieces of jewellery can also puncture or damage the condom.
Condoms may also break if you put them on in the wrong way, because each side is lubricated differently. To avoid unwanted surprises, always place the condom on your erect penis with the rim on the outside, then roll it all the way down the shaft of your penis to the base.
If you have accidentally put the condom on the wrong way, dispose of it and use a new condom placed correctly.
Changing condom each time you switch from one type of sex to another can also minimise the risk of breakage whilst also avoiding the risk of infections for your partner.
Last but not least, intimate piercings on your penis or your partner’s vulva and vagina may also increase the risk of condom breakage. It is recommended to remove all piercings before using a condom.
How to choose the right SKYN lube?
Personal lubricants are an excellent choice for enhanced, more satisfying sex. SKYN manufactures a range of intimate lubes for all situations. Here’s how to choose the best one for you.
SKYN water-based lube
Suitable for most situations, this is the most common type of intimate lubricant from SKYN brand. Water-based lubes can be used for pretty much anything, from masturbation to playing with toys, foreplay, and intercourse.
This is also the best option to use with condoms. SKYN water-based lubes are compatible with all types of latex and non-latex condoms, so you can still use the lubricant with a different condom brand should you want to.
SKYN Aqua Feel lube is the brand’s water-based lubricant, a product that is gentle on the skin. This lube is odourless, tasteless, and colourless. It is easy to clean out and doesn’t stain fabrics.
SKYN Natural Harmony is another water-based lube from the brand, designed for people with sensitive skin. This lube has a balanced pH and is enriched with hyaluronic acid, protecting the delicate skin in your most sensitive areas.
Couples trying to conceive may also benefit from using SKYN Oh Baby, a water-based vaginal gel that adds moisture exactly where it’s needed and also helps sperm mobility. Whilst most lubes have a pH that matches the more acidic pH of the vagina, this lube has its pH adjusted to promote sperm health and mobility. At the same time, the product is compatible with all condoms and can also be used as a regular lubricant.
SKYN silicone-based lube
Slippery and longer lasting than water-based lubes, SKYN All Night Long is an excellent choice for longer sessions or rougher sex. The thicker consistency allows you to apply less product and you won’t have to reapply it often either.
Due to its water-resistant formula, SKYN All Night Long is also an excellent choice for shower or pool sex, adding all the moisture and slickness that water has washed away.
Silicone-based lubes are usually compatible with condoms but are incompatible with silicone sex toys. You can use them with sex toys made of plastic, metal, or glass, though.
SKYN sensual massage gels
Besides standard lubes, SKYN also manufactures a range of sensual massage gels that can also be used as lubricants.
- SKYN Intimate Moments: Is a hybrid water and silicone based gel ideal for sensual massages and for lubricating your intimate areas during foreplay and intercourse. This gel combines the benefits of a water-based lube with those of a silicone one. The result is a longer lasting effect yet a light formula that doesn’t feel greasy and doesn’t stain. SKYN Intimate Moments is suitable to use with all SKYN condom but it may damage latex or polyurethane condoms.
- SKYN Oriental Touch: This two-in-one massage gel and intimate lubricant boasts a water-based formula that is compatible with all types of condoms and sex toys. The product has a light warming effect, enhancing blood flow and increasing pleasure during foreplay and intercourse. Its subtle jasmine and green tea scent makes this massage gel feel luxurious.
Are SKYN lubricants compatible with latex condoms?
Whilst the water-based lubricants from the brand are compatible with latex condoms, SKYN’s silicone or hybrid gels may damage latex and polyurethane condoms. The easiest way to tell whether the lube you want is compatible with the type of condoms you want to use is by reading the product label. If in doubt, don’t use SKYN lube with condoms from another brand.
Are flavoured condoms and lubricants safe for oral sex?
Yes. SKYN utilises exclusively food-grade flavourings which are safe for human ingestion for its condoms and lubricants. It is not recommended that you intentionally consume these products, however.
Do SKYN offer sex toys and other accessories?
Yes. We stock the SKYN Thrill Discreet Vibrating Bullet, and also the SKYN Vibes Personal Massager. On top of this, we also stock SKYN wipes, which are ideal for freshening up after intercourse if you don't have time for a quick shower. We really are your one-stop shop for all SKYN products - including condoms, lubes and sex toys.
Where to buy SKYN condoms?
You can buy SKYN condoms right here at Condoms.uk. Committed to promoting safe sex, we only sell genuine brand condoms sourced directly from their manufacturers or official suppliers in the UK. Get FREE Royal Mail 24 Tracked delivery in the UK when you spend £25+, and discreet delivery on every order. What are you waiting for? Buy your SKYN condoms now!